The information below is related to Background Checks/Clearances for:
• Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearances (CY113)
• Pennsylvania Criminal Record Checks (SP4-164)
• Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Background Checks
* Clearances are free when you register as a "volunteer" on the website.
Certain individuals, in order to work or volunteer with children, are required to obtain clearances which may include the following:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance;
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check; and
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check (if you have lived outside of PA in the last ten years).
Information regarding the Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance is contained below, as well as a link to additional information regarding the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check and the Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check.
Child Abuse: The Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance can be submitted and paid for online through the Child Welfare Information Solution (CWIS) self-service portal, www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis.
Submitting an application online allows individual applicants to receive their results through an automated system that will notify the applicant once their results have been processed. Applicants will be able to view and print their results online. The self-service portal also provides the ability for organizations to create business accounts to prepay for child abuse clearances and have online access to the results.
PA Criminal and FBI: For more information about the electronic submission of child abuse clearances or for information on obtaining the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check or Federal Bureau of Investigation Criminal Background Check, please go to: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp